Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Looking for Improvements - Water for Brewing Tea

For much of the last 5 years I have relied on my Amway eSpring to purify the local tap water and provide me with the water I need to brew my tea.  It is a practice of convenience and one that has yielded satisfactory results but fails to put a shine on some of the teas I know can really excel with the right water.

The pursuit for excellence requires attention to details and a drive to constantly look for improvements. Water despite being one of the two most vital ingredients for making a cup of tea is often overlooked and taken for granted. A cup of tea consists of 99% water however we seldom seek to improve on the quality of water we use. I am motivated towards improving my situation in this regard. For 5 years I have taken the comfortable option of relying on my Amway eSpring. The water filter itself does a good job of removing the taste of chlorine and other impurities from the tap water. That said my local supermarket has been extending their range of bottled natural spring water from all around the world that include sources from Australia, Iceland, Fuji, Scotland. This availability has refueled my excitement and motivated me to test the different sources of mineral water to see how the different variation and concentration of minerals in the water can influence the resulting brew. Over the next few weeks I will be procuring/drinking/brewing from these different water sources. You my dear readers will be able to share my experiences in the forthcoming entries.

UPDATED: The links below captures my experience with the first water test I conducted and recorded for the blog under LOT 1.